History: The Rod Taylor scholarship fund was created to honor the legacy of Rodney Allen Taylor and his dedication to youth sports, in particular his love of fast pitch softball. He was such an intertwined part of the association and the youth that were involved in it. His commitment to youth sports meant he was always willing to step up and get the job done. He played some many roles over the years, from coach, to commissioner, all the way to the SYAA president. To try and honor his efforts SYAA softball and the SYAA family have committed to keeping the scholarship fund funded for a minimum of the next ten years.
Entries: The scholarship, in the amount of $750.00 will be awarded each July at the SYAA Board meeting to a young lady that participated in the SYAA Softball program and is pursuing higher education.
– Applicants will compose an essay explaining how the experience of playing at SYAA has positively impacted their life.
– Entries will be mailed or emailed postmarked by June 1st of each calendar year.
– Must have participated in SYAA softball, either recreation, select, or travel.
– List estimated dates played at SYAA.
– Minimum of 250 words
– Location of furthered education
– Contact information
Process: The selection committee will be comprised of Priscilla Taylor(Rod’s Wife), Delaney Taylor (Rod’s Daughter), and the current SYAA Softball Commissioner. The committee will review all valid applications and vote on a winner. The winner will be notified and requested to attend the July SYAA Board Meeting for scholarship presentation.
Good Luck to everyone!!
Further information can be found at SuffolkSYAA.com
Rod Taylor Scholarship application